Monday, September 12, 2011

SPORTS CARDS : ARE WE ALL SUCKERS?

SPORTS CARDS
ARE WE ALL SUCKERS?
Maybe it is just me? But has anyone else got the impression that sportscards are heading in the wrong direction?
What I mean is this, Can anyone tell me what constitutes being a rare card with increasing value?
I have been seeing to many rare cards selling for pennies on the dollar, is this because they are in less than near mint condition with no possibility to grade higher than a 7 by Becketts standards, or is the seller so desperate for money?
Anyway by this happening it is affecting all of us. If what we think might be something to hold on to "because we are all wise investors" is selling for pennies here on E-Bay, in the long run our investment is more like a flash in the pan!
Did you know Beckett bases in part there value per card by what they sell for at Auction? Such as E-bay!
how does that affect our collections?
Recently I watched a Michael Jordan 1/1 auto card sell for $.10 on the dollar, can anyone tell me why? Well I can tell you why! It is because Upper Deck and othe r card gepanies are producing way to many of these not so rare cards! If the big manufactures are gearing there product towards bigger sells by offering more chances to pull a very low numbered auto/patch card, then they are the only ones profiting from there actions!
In part collecting is not just a hobby anymore, and I know the die hard collectors will disagree with me, but when you are buying product like Exquisite and spending a small fortune, dont you think the value of what you pull should in some way match your initial investment?
Why would anyone buy a case of Exquisite or any other high end product, (and believe me I have bought plenty) at $3000 a case if all they pull is maybe a $100. card? You get 15 cards total per case of Exquisite, you are supposed to pull at least one money card per case, well at the rate cards are selling for ( again which determine there value) based on Beckett and other grading services, you would be lucky if you could buy yourself a nice lunch!
Believe me when I say, if someone does not gee up with a answer to all these questions the only people that are going to profit from Sports Card collecting is going to be the card gepanies and the grading services!
E-mail Upper Deck and Beckett! and do it often!
Let them know the problem is getting way out of hand! And something must be done before all of our cards are worth less in the future than what it cost to produce them now!
One more thing before my head explodes, Do you know why Upper Deck has just released there new 3rd quarter product Upper deck redemption Black! and believe me it is a nice product!
Well, they are running out of good ideas on marketing there product!
If every set has 1 of 1s to be pulled like Lebron or Jordan, Oh look I just pulled another Chris Paul 1 of 1! They are not going to be so rare after all, are they!
If you collect Sports Cards as a hobby or as an investment, Please! make your voice heard now!
Otherwise our collections wont be worth the paper they are printed on!
Thanks for reading, and good luck on your next great pull?

No comments:

Post a Comment