Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Organization for the s Seller

Whether I find items through treasure hunting or receive items from outside sources, I have a great process I take myself through every week to list these items for sale.
I begin with locating the item. Many people go to thrifts to peruse the shelves for items to sell.I go to the thrifts 3 x a week.I go different days and different times. Each time taking at least one hour to make sure I have at looked through everything in the store. Initially I allowed myself only 20 minutes and1x a week. This really limited me to finding very few treasures as thrifts generally put out new items several times a day all throughout the week. Use a cart, not a basket. This helps you navigate through aisles, people get out of the way much faster for a cart thena person.
When I locate something I know I can resell Imake sure I can resell for a minimum of3x the price of this item. One part goes to listing and selling fees, two parts to me. Most times I do not go over my set limit of $2.00 for thrift items found. I also purchase items from other sources and I also sell items from my private collections. When I started out selling I wasn't always sure of the item, its history, its value. I would list and often the item would not get hits and would not sell. Now I only purchase items I am sure of and before I list them I check gepleted items through okay search. This gives you an idea of what a like item sold for and helps you decide for sure whether to list and for what price.
When I am home from thrifting I collect all the items purchased. If they are clothing and can be washed gently in the machine, I wash. Otherwise I hand wash. If collectible glass or pottery, I clean item gently. If book I prepare the book for resale by wiping down covers with a damp cloth and checking the book front to back for wear. I then place items in a box and store in my spare room for photographs when the lighting is good. Lighting is good in the morning hours 10-2pm. I research each item I have picked up that day by 10 pm that night. Those items that have sold and are sellers are moved to my office andwill be photographed in the morning.
Morning I photograph. I edit photos. Early afternoon I start to describe and I save my work in notepad. When I have a few minutes here or there I add to or edit my descriptions.I review photos again. I look for like items in the search to review keywords and to review category item is in. I then begin listing my items.
I then move listed items to my spare room to a shelf for current listed items. As each item gets a bid I pre-package item for shipment. I place item in the box it will ship in and protect item with 2 sheets of bubblewrap along with tissue paperinitially, most more before shipping. Once item is sold I invoice the buyer immediately for item. I find I usually get paid for my auctions or store items right away. I have very friendly terms of service. I then run a label off through Paypal shipping labels , secure the box for shipping. Box gets moved to an area of my office where packages wait to ship out. I email buyer package will ship in the morning by 9am and the transaction is almost geplete. In the morning I will ship and within 3-4 business days I will check the item dc # to insure it has arrived at destination.
I hope my order of operations from thrifting to shipping has helped provide a bit of organization to your selling experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment