Monday, September 12, 2011

Cheap Ideas for the Organizationally Challenged Home

I am one of those people who needs more organization than I actually am capable of, so I have devised a few things that help me maintain my organized chaos. If you'd like to be more organized but are only willing to go half-way, then a few of my ideas might be for you.
1. If you like to cut coupons but then forget to use them, try making a photo albumcoupon holder. I take a small dollar-store type photo albumthat holds 4 x 6 prints, and I write categories on the plastic sleeves with Sharpie. Then I sort coupons inside the sleeves. This way, I can easily see what I have, and I can flip through the book easily to make sure I don't forget any of my coupons. I find it easier to use than a coupon folder, because I can put the coupons I don't want to forget right on top inside the sleeves. This way they're easily visible.
2. If you use packets of small spices and don't know where to put them, consider using a small shoebox in which to store the spices. The box I use is a small slanted one that allows me to see the spices easily in front. You could cut the front down on a small box if a small slanted one isn't available. Mine came from a pair of toddler shoes from Wal-Mart. They may havea few around if you ask.

3. If you need to keep track of notes and bills, achalkboard with shelf is a good way to go. I've found that thisIkea chalkboard (cost: $12) with a slot for bills keeps me marginally organized--at least everything is in one place. I also know that chalk will always be there to write with. Since pens easily walk away for other uses, chalk is a good alternative for me. It's not good for anything except the chalkboard, so it stays with the board. That's especially good for emergency phone messages!

4. If you need to keep miscellaneous things handy that don't really havea place, an over the door shoe bagworks wonders for things in a pantry. I keep sunscreen, dog leashes, bug spray, extension cords, and other odds and ends on the door of my pantry. It helps me find things I need in a flash, and it didn't cost much. It's an idea that many of my friends have adopted because of its ease of use! (I also put one of these in a cleaning closet for sewing odds and ends, dust cloths, Swiffer refills, and cleaning solutions.)

5. If you have a pantry that is not well-organized, cheapdishtubs can provide a great way to loosely organize your items. I have marked mine with a Sharpie into general categories. This helps us keep things together so we can find them, even if each item doesn't have a specific place. It also helps with the wire shelving we have in our pantry, since things don't tend to sit straight on this type of shelving. In addition, the dish tubs can be easily rinsed or thrown in the dishwasher for cleaning. If the Sharpie gees off, I just re-write it. (Finding a Sharpie can occasionally be a problem, so I keep one hidden and try to always put it back in the same place.)

6. Bottles and cans don't like wire shelving, either. That's why I've employed soda can boxes for things like cooking spray and olive oil in the pantry. I also use these in the laundry room for stain remover and bleach pens. The boxes keep things together, and they also can be thrown away when they get dirty. I just replace them with new ones when the old ones are full of gunk.

7.Magnetic clips work wonders on the fridge, and they help keep important notes in one place. Although things are stacked, I know where the important papers are in the house and can find them when I need them.
Although my ideas won't help those who are already great organizers, they do help my family since we are working toward a goal of better organization around the home. Best of all, they're inexpensive, so if they don't work well for you, you won't be out a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment